An easy dinner of fluffy brown rice flavored with tangy lemon grass and mixed with sauteed veggies.. This dinner is nutritious, packed with nutrients and antioxidants, it’s vegan , and gluten free!
This dish is one of my favorite, I love sauteed veggies a lot, especially with added mushrooms. And cilantro gives it a nice aroma. you can add different veggies of course, but these are my favorite, and always in my fridge, broccoli would be a great choice too.
Brown rice has a nutty flavor, and I feel it fits sauteed food or even raw in salads, more than to eat with a stew or a curry. So, I made for YOU today this is easy dish, that can be really a fulfilling dinner, It can be eaten alone or have it with as a side of your favorite protein.
- It’s an excellent source of Manganese, and has good amounts of selenium and magnesium too.
- It also has good amount of B Vitamins like thiamine, B6 and Niacin, also good amounts of fibers and protein.
- It can lower cholesterol too, whether it’s due to the presence of the bran oil or/and the fibers.
It’s a plant that is popular in Asian cuisine. Unfortunately, I couldn’t get a fresh lemon grass leaves, so I chose the paste, which is really tasty. You can make it a home, or just buy one, but obviously if you can’t find the leaves, you cant make it, right? It’s healthy because
- Has versatile oil, and
- Has antimicrobial activity
- Low calorie food item , and add a great flavor with add fats and extra calories.
This is really an easy dish to put together, just have everything on hand, and start working. and Enjoy!
- 1 cup brown rice
- 1½ cup boiling water
- ½ Tb vegetable oil
- 2 Tb lemon grass paste
- 1 medium carrot cut lengthwise
- 1 medium green bell pepper
- 2 small white zucchinis (you can use green zucchinis too)
- 5 medium mushrooms
- few sprigs of cilantro
- 1 Tb vegetable oil
- Garlic powder, onion powder, salt and pepper
- Optional: Worcester sauce (vegan if desired)
- In a large pot, on a medium heat add ½ Tb vegetable oil, and saute the rice for 3 minutes.
- Add boiling water, and cover the pot with a tight lid and keep the rice simmered for 20 minutes (less if you wish for chunky rice).
- In the meantime, in a large skillet, on a medium heat , add 1 Tb vegetable oil.
- Saute the veggies, starting with ginger and carrots, then add the others.
- After 20 minutes, remove rice form the stove, but the keep the rice covered for another 10 minutes
- Season the veggies, and add Worcester sauce if desired.
- Veggeis need around 10 minutes, you can keep then longer if you like a softer texture, but its better to keep it for a short time.
- Sprinkle minced cilantro at the end of cooking.
- Serve with rice, and refrigerate any leftovers.