This was my 2nd recipe on the blog, it’s such an easy salad, but really delicious, and satisfying. I said before that I’m not a big fan of salads, but still there is something really makes you feel good when you eat fresh raw salads. And if you are not vegan , you can add cheddar or Parmesan cheese to it, and maybe some tortilla chips? However, I’m not a very big fan of everything salad, that has all the textures , maybe one to two different textures and flavors, but not throw every food item in it style.
I always develop new recipe or change my old recipes, but sometimes one needs just to make again an old one. A one that actually evoke memories, I first made this salad when I was pregnant. It helped me a lot to go through pregnancy , a healthy salad that can keep you full? Yes, please!
If you can find raw red beans easily, then go for it! The only con of raw beans is; it’s need time to prepare. If you are good at planning, and have time management skills, that are necessary to attain healthy body, this preparation process will not bother you. Soaking beans makes them tender, and more palatable.
Why you need to add red beans in your diet:
- Are high in folate, iron, potassium, fiber, and a great source of protein. It’s one of the ultimate choices for vegans, vegetarians, and omnivores.
- It’s naturally gluten free.
- They are in low glycemic index which means they are a good choose for diabetic patients.
- Beans and legumes consumption can reduce the risk of developing colon cancer.
Lemon juice or lime is essential in this salad to enhance the absorption of iron). Red beans have a plant compound called “phytate“, that impairs with the absorption of iron and zinc. However , soaking the beans and add lemon juice too helps with this matter.
Red Beans have sugar called galacto-oligosaccharides. When you consume this sugar, the human body cannot break down this sugar,and it will be fermented, and that what cause gas, and bloating. People suffer from colon diseases like IBs may not tolerate beans. Please consult your physician if you had any discomfort.
- 1 Cup of Iceberg lettuce.
- 1 Cup of red beans.
- 1 Cup of frozen sweet corn.
- 1 Medium green bell pepper.
- A handful of cilantro
- I tsp. ground cumin
- I tsp. paprika
- I tbsp. fresh squeezed lemon juice
- 1 tsp. of olive oil.
- Soak the beans overnight or for eight hrs. at least.
- Bring it to boil to desired extent. The more you soak it, the less time you need to boil.
- I soaked it 12 hrs, and boil it for 20 min.
- Check the beans with a fork to check the tenderness.
- Cut all the veggies in the way you like it.
- Add spices, olive oil, salt.