Easy healthy, delicious and aromatic sweet potato oatmeal cookies. Flavored with spice like nutmeg, makes it perfect to enjoy this upcoming holiday season. They are vegan, gluten free, and refined sugar free!
The last few years, I was amazed by the amount of sweets made using sweet potato. Never occurred to me before, to use it in desserts, but in savory dishes. While the casserole with melted marshmallow seems irresistible, I thought I can make a healthy treat using sweet potato. Not a traditional casserole or a pie, but cookies 🙂
Let’s talk about the cookies, they are very easy to make. They are very healthy, and great for a snack or to go. They are sweetened with date paste, and some coconut sugar
You can roast the sweet potato, for extra sweetness 🙂 .
Why these sweet potato oatmeal cookies
- It has sweet potato , that has good amount of fiber, vitamins like vitamin B6 and folate. And minerals like calcium, and iron. Also dates are rich source of antioxidants like ß-carotein, lutein which are beneficial for eye health.
- It has oatmeal that is very healthy, and is naturally gluten free whole grain, and it can reduce cholesterol, blood pressure.
- It has dates, that is great source of energy, and that good amount of fiber, vitamins like vitamin B6 and folate. And minerals like calcium, and iron. Also dates are rich source of antioxidants like ß-carotein, lutein which are beneficial for eye health.
Sweet potato and diabetes
There are some studies found, that not even sweet potato has low glycemic index, but it stabilize blood sugar by lowering insulin resistance. however, there still no daily recommendation for eating sweet potato. however you can enjoy these cookies without any guilt.
- 5 Tb old fashioned oatmeal
- 100 g instant oatmeal
- 90g oat flour
- ½ cup sweet potato puree
- 4 Tb of date paste (soak 50g of dates in hot water, then put them in the blender)
- 2 Tb coconut sugar
- 4 Tb coconut oil
- ¼ Tsp baking soda
- Preheat the oven at 375f /180 C.
- You can use the puree of sweet potato by boiling it, or roasting it.
- Now mix all ingredients in one bowl
- If the dough is soft, put in the refrigerator for 30 mins .
- Shape the cookies and put them on a parchment paper.
- Put them in the oven for 10 mins, or until they are light golden brown.
- Put the leftovers in air tight container , they will last up to 5 days. And you can free them too.