An easy to make kale salad that is fulfilling , sweet and tangy! This salad is packed with nutrients, and antioxidants, and it happens to be vegan and gluten free too!
This is an old recipe revisited. since it’s a good one, and healthy too, I just want to give it what it deserves , good photos and better content. I made this recipe based on muffin combo, that I first tried when I was in the U.S , which is the orange cranberry muffin. I loved the mixture of tangy-sweet flavors, and they are fairly light, in comparison to other kinds of muffins. So I thought how I can use this great combination to make something healthy?
A fresh salad!
It’s a leafy green vegetable, from the cruciferous family. It’s abundant all year around .And because, it has mild flavor, actually you can’t describe how it tastes like, and you can add anything to it! Literally anything!
Why you need to add kale to your diet:
There are so many health benefits to mention a few:
- It has high amounts of vitamins like vitamin A and C and minerals like potassium
- It’s a high fiber food, this means a better digestion , and also decreasing the blood sugar level
- Kale contain chlorophyll that works as blocking agents for carcinogenic effects of heterocyclic amines that created when you grill food at high temperature.
- Kale can help lower cholesterol.
One of the ways to improve the taste of raw kale is, to add acidity to it. I thought instead of just adding liquid acidic dressing; why not add a citrus fruit, like orange? It’s acidic, very healthy also, it tastes sweet and tangy! Moreover, I’m a big fan of dried fruits; the sweetness of it makes my day. And, I need colors in my Kale salad, so dark red dried cranberries is the way to go. And to the last part in any salad, Crunchiness! I used almond, it’s high in vitamin E and minerals like calcium, manganese and magnesium.
To boost the nutrition benefits of this salad, I added Parsley; it’s a green leafy vegetable, high in vitamins and minerals. Because it is diuretic, it’s commonly used in home remedies, for urinary tract infections. And because, of the high antioxidant content, it’s believed to lower Cholesterol. Moreover, it has a great raw taste.
This Kale salad is low in calories, and carbohydrates, very high in vitamins, iron and folate, and low in sodium.
- 3 cups of chopped Kale
- 1 medium Orange
- ¼ cup of Dried unsweetened Cranberries
- ½ cup of chopped Parsley
- 1 oz (almost 23 kernel) of raw Almond
- Juice of 1 Lemon
- 1 Tbsp of Olive Oil
- Few chopped Cilantro leaves
- Fresh ground black Peppe
- Chop all the greens.
- Dice the peeled orange into small pieces.
- Prepare the dressing: lemon juice and olive oil
- Mix all the ingredients together, and serve immediately.
Do you love Kale salads? What’s your favorite? Please share your thoughts in the comments section below