A creamy polenta porridge that burst of eastern flavors of rose water and orange blossom water. It’s packed with nutrients, delicious, vegetarian and gluten free too!
I developed this idea so many times, I love polenta so much even it’s not the healthiest grain. Technically it’s not a grain, but corn grits. if it’s very fine, then it will be great in cakes and as fried or baked bars or fries. It’s very versatile, and I love to make it sweet, and savory too . I mostly make sweet polenta, and my favorite was the one with pumpkin, and I made a savory one. You can check all my polenta recipes here .
Rose water and orange blossom water
I mixed the traditional Italian polenta porridge, with eastern flavors this time. I love to mix cuisines together, you got distinguished flavors and unique textures. These eastern flavors are rose water and orange blossom water. They are both distilled water of the flowers. Here in the middle east we use them for cooking and baking. You can find them in middle eastern shops or buy them online. Here this is my favorite brand, and you can buy them together .
Why this polenta porridge
Because it’s creamy and luscious 🙂
- Because it has milk, that has good amounts of protein and calcium.
- Because it has honey and can be good for you.
- It has polenta that is light, and naturally gluten free.
This is such an easy recipe, you just mix everything in the same pot on the stove, you just need to know that you need to keep stirring, and not all polenta is alike, some take longer time. You can use the instant too, its can be ready in 10 minutes or less!
- 1 cup milk
- ½ tsp of salt
- 1 cup polenta
- ½ cup water
- 1 Tb honey (or up to desire)
- 1 tsp orange blossom water
- 1 tsp rose water
- Crushed and whole pistachio
- Dried apricots
- Grated coconut
- Honey to drizzle
- In a medium pot, on low to medium heat, mix milk, honey, polenta and water, and stir.
- When it comes to a soft boil, add rose water, and orange blossom water.
- Keep stirring on low heat until your reach the desired consistency .
- Pour in desired bowl or bowls, add your favorite garnish.
- S15erve it hot or cold.
- Refrigerate any leftover.